They had their office in a guardroom at the "Jonas" near St. Pauli.
In 1902 the first purpose-built Hamburg harbour pilots’ station was built on the Lotsenhöft, the present-day site of the Blohm + Voss shipyard. Within a decade this station was no longer sufficient for
their requirements, so a new station was planned further to the west. This was finished in 1914, but it wasn’t until 1925 that the harbour pilots moved into the present-day building on the Seemannshöft.
Until 1981 all Hamburg harbour pilots were employees of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg.
On 1st July 1981 a parliamentary decision led to the founding of the Hamburg Harbour Pilots’ Association. The Association was supported by the senate and port manage- ment,
modelled itself on the example of the German federal pilots and is based on the Hamburg harbour pilotage law.